Monday 22 December 2014

Growing Old

Hiya

You're probably expecting an upbeat festive piece at this time of year, but I'm afraid it's a bit of a sombre one. For me, Christmas is a time to spend alongside your loved ones so I've been reflecting quite a bit.

This Sunday I visited my Nanna, as I usually do when I'm back from uni, but this time was harder than usual. She's a typical Greek grandmother - makes English words up, tries to force feed you and isn't happy unless she's running round after you. However, she now struggles to walk, forgets an awful lot and is sad pretty much all the time. Coping with Parkinson's, dementia and depression isn't something that anyone should have to do. It isn't fair.
I really can't imagine going from once being an independent woman to feeling trapped in a house, and in a body that is about 50 years older than your mind.

You can imagine how hard it is watching this all happen and get worse as time passes by, I'm sure many of you have been through a similar experience. Yet it's just as hard watching my Dad having to cope with seeing this change in his Mum. Nobody likes seeing their dad cry, so it's extremely difficult having to be the strong one in these situations. If only we could turn the clock back a few years so I could have my Nanna back, the one I knew before illness.

It's one thing watching one member of your family deteriorate but I can't help thinking about something like this happening to others too. My parents, my brother, my friends? I can't even begin to imagine that. 

Old age is scary. 
Getting older is scary.

Things like this make me think: Are bad things happening more often? Or am I just getting less ignorant each year?

Hope you're all okay.
Charlotte
x

2 comments:

  1. Such a lovely post- you've managed to talk so eloquently about something so sad. I'm loving your blog lots. I hope that you're well and hope you have a lovely Christmas. Love, Jasmine X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very sorry to hear about your grandmother. I know this quite well, sadly. My grandpa, who I was close to and who looked like Santa without the beard and a Louisiana-french accent, was always laughing and was my dad growing up practically. He had dementia and suffered for 3 years until he passed in 2012. It's such a struggle to see the people who you love and adore suffer, and the strong people falter. Life is so complicated and scary. Its also lovely and wonderful. (Sorry for rambling on!)
    Stay strong and take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete